Engineering Questions with Answers - Multiple Choice Questions
Geotechnical Engineering MCQs – Soils – Particle Size Classification
1 - Question
1. For engineering purpose, soil can be classified in terms of ___________ a) Particle size b) Textural c) Unified soil d) All of the mentioned
Answer: d Explanation: For general engineering purposes, soil can be classified in terms of particle size, textural and unified soil.
2 - Question
2. Systems which are used for classification of soil based on particle size are __________ a) PRA system of united states b) Indian standard classification system c) International soil classification d) All of the mentioned
Answer: d Explanation: Based on particle size, soil can be classified as i) U.S. Bureau of soil and public road administration system ii) The M.I.T. classification system iii) Indian standard classification system iv) International soil classification system.
3 - Question
3. In particle size classification system, the soils are classified according to __________ a) Grain size b) Properties c) Shape d) Solubility
Answer: a Explanation: In the particle soil classification system, soils are arranged to the grain size.
4 - Question
4. Which of the following terms are used to indicate grain sizes? a) Gravel b) Sand c) Silt d) All of the mentioned
Answer: d Explanation: Terms such as gravel, sand, silt, and clay are used to indicate grain sizes. These terms are used only as a designation of particle size.
5 - Question
5. The term ‘silt’ in particle size classification system, can be replaced by ___________ a) Silt size b) Clay size c) Silt type d) None of the mentioned
Answer: a Explanation: As the system is classified based on size, it is preferable to use the word ‘silt size’ and ‘clay size’ in place of simply ‘silt’ or ‘clay’.
6 - Question
6. Indian standard classification of soil is based on _________ a) PRA system b) International soil classification c) M.I.T system d) Indian system
Answer: c Explanation: Indian standard classification (IS: 1948-1970) is based on the M.I.T. system.
7 - Question
7. Soil occurring in nature, is composed of __________ a) Sand b) Decomposed substance c) All of the mentioned d) None of the mentioned
Answer: a Explanation: Soil occurring in nature is composed of a different percentage of sand, silt, and clay size particles.
8 - Question
8. The purpose of soil classification is to ___________ a) To arrange various soils types in to groups b) To use it for various purpose c) For finding its properties d) For investigating the soil
Answer: a Explanation: The purpose of soil classification is to arrange various types of soils in to groups according to their engineering or agricultural properties.
9 - Question
9. Particle size classification is best suited for _________ a) Coarse grained soil b) Clay soil c) Dry soil d) All of the mentioned
Answer: b Explanation: Since properties of clay soils is less dependent on particle size distrubution(textural classification) and more dependent on size it is best suited for clay soil.
10 - Question
10. Particle size classification system does not signify __________ a) Soil types b) Soil Particle size c) All of the mentioned d) None of the mentioned
Answer: a Explanation: Particle size classification used only as a designation of particle sizes, and do not signify the naturally occurring types which are mixtures of a particle of different sizes.